Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1780496
RECRUITMENT/RELOCATION INCENTIVE MAY BE AUTHORIZED TO A HIGHLY QUALIFIED APPLICANT
This is an Open and Continuous Announcement. This position may be filled prior to the closing date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for this vacancy. Applications will be reviewed every two weeks; qualified applicants will be referred to the selecting official at that time. If it is filled prior to the closing date, recruitment will be terminated.
The Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP): The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. EDRP may be available to highly qualified applicants based on the needs of the Agency and availability of funding. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with Stan Knutelski, the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator, for additional information at 605-347-7281. You may also visit http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choos-va/education-support.asp
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
The VA Black Hills Health Care System (VA BHHCS) is located in the beautiful Black Hills of Western South Dakota, where America vacations. South Dakota has No State Income Tax, is the Second Happiest and one of the Safest States in the nation, is home to one of GORP.com's Top Ten Scenic Drives and Top Ten National Forests, features an Outdoor Life's Top City for Outdoor Enthusiasts and hosts the legendary Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
VA BHHCS is where we live and work in rural small town settings, only minutes from Rapid City's shopping, dining, cultural and entertainment venues. We offer rich history, from Mammoths and Prehistoric Civilizations to the 7th Cavalry, Deadwood, the Star Spangled Banner and Mount Rushmore. Wildlife abounds, sometimes in our own backyards, and rush hour may mean waiting for elk to cross the road. The Black Hills experiences more sunny days than Miami or Honolulu, ensuring year round outdoor recreation. Hiking, fishing, rock climbing, canoeing, water skiing, golf, snowmobiling, hunting, camping, downhill and cross country skiing, motorcycling - the opportunities are endless. The Black Hills includes stunning landscapes such as Harney Peak, Bear Butte, the Badlands, Sylvan Lake, the Needles Highway and the Black Hills National Forest. When it's time for civilization, you will find the Black Hills hosting local and national theatre groups, movie companies, national pow wow competitions, international dance troupes, symphony orchestras, concerts, and a variety of entertainers. Sports enthusiasts will find auto races, college sports, semi-pro hockey, and some of the best in rodeo.
With primary campuses at Fort Meade and Hot Springs and numerous Community Based Outpatient Clinics, VA BHHCS provides primary and secondary medical and surgical care, along with Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program services, for Veterans from North and South Dakota, Wyoming and Nebraska. VA Black Hills Health Care is part of the VA Midwest Health Care Network (VISN 23) - where we've been caring for America's Heroes for over 100 years.
1. Provision of outpatient psychiatric care to Veterans with a variety of mental health conditions, including psychotic disorders, mood disorders, PTSD, substance abuse, personality disorders, and combinations of the above within the context of a multidisciplinary treatment team.
2. Initial diagnostic evaluations.
3. Medication management.
4. Management of psychiatric emergencies presenting to the CBOC.
5. Psychotherapy as desired. The clinic has psychologists and social workers whose primary duty is to provide psychotherapy.
6. Participation in the on-call schedule for Psychiatry, which includes telephone coverage for the Emergency Department/Urgent Care, telephone coverage for the inpatient psychiatric unit at Fort Meade, and weekend/holiday rounds on the psychiatric unit at Fort Meade. Rounds can be done via telehealth from the Rapid City CBOC.
7. Clinical supervision of midlevel providers (Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner).
8. Opportunity for teaching medical students on their Psychiatry rotation from the University of South Dakota School of Medicine.
Work Schedule: Day tour, Mon-Fri, with night call by phone and weekend rounds on a rotating basis.